Essex is a hard to a very hard water area which means our water is excellent for drinking and cooking with naturally occurring calcium and magnesium that gives us many health benefits.
Hardwater is not so great on our Plumbing, appliances and bathroom suites.
As an Essex resident, you’re probably experiencing hard water stains on your shower screen, toilet, tiles, bath and toilet.
These stains are inevitable; there’s not much you can do to prevent them except installing a water softener on your mains water supply.
Water softeners require an initial investment and are notorious for wasting water.
It’s easier to remove hard water stains than to soften our water, but if the stains do bother you that much then maybe consider investing in a water softener.
Hard water stains can be removed easily with proper cleaning here’s how to do it.
The Stain Removal Process
- Next time you at supermarket buy some white vinegar, a spray bottle and some cleaning cloths
- When you’re ready to clean mix 500ml of vinegar with 500ml of water, a 50/50 mix.
- Spray the solution over all the affected areas in your bathroom, the tiles, floor, bath, shower screen, any areas you feel are stained by hard water.
- Leave for a few seconds
- Wipe with a cloth the hard water stains should disappear instantly
- Once the affected areas of clean and free from hard water stains dry them with a towel (this is very important as any excess water could stain your surfaces again making this whole process a waste of time)
Difficult To Remove Stains
Some hard water stains can be tough to remove.
In this instance, spray the affected areas and let the white vinegar/water solution soak for around 15 minutes.
Wipe with a cloth and the stain should remove easily.
If stains are still really stubborn in certain areas scrub with an old toothbrush.
If your shower head is stained and built up with limescale, you can soak it in a bowl of neat white vinegar
Leave overnight, in the morning rinse and dry. Your showerhead will sparkle.
Neat white vinegar can also be used to clean hard water spots from toilets.
Pour white vinegar inside the bowl allow to sit for a few seconds then scrub with a toilet brush until all hard water stains have disappeared.