Leak Detection Chelmsford
Call – 01245 830075
Hello and welcome to TM Hughes & Son Gas Services Ltd. Our team provides Leak Detection in Chelmsford and the surrounding areas.
Many water pipes are hidden under floors, walls, ceilings and underground. These hidden pipes can leak.
You might have noticed your water consumption has increased (even though you are not using any more water than usual), or a damp patch may have appeared somewhere in your home. If you suspect a leak, we can find the source quickly, get to it, and repair it.
- Experienced and insured engineers undertake our Leak Detection services.
- We provide free, no-obligation quotes for our Leak Detection services.
How Leak Detection Works
Leak detection is performed using various methods, which include visual inspection, pressure testing, thermal imaging, and leak detector machines work in the context of leak detection:
- Concept: This method relies on the simplest form of leak detection, an engineer’s eyes.
- Process: A visual inspection involves checking for obvious signs of leaks like puddles, water stains, mould, rust, or corrosion on pipes, walls, ceilings, and floors.
- Advantages: It’s the most direct and immediate method, requiring no special equipment. This approach is particularly effective for surface-level leaks and provides a quick way to identify potential problem areas.
- Concept: Pressure testing involves measuring the pressure in a pipe or system to detect leaks.
- Process: The system is first sealed off and then filled with a non-compressible fluid (for water pipes). The pressure is then monitored over a period. If there’s a leak, the pressure will drop below the expected level.
- Advantages: It’s a straightforward and effective way to find leaks, especially in systems that are supposed to be airtight or watertight.
- Concept: Thermal imaging uses infrared cameras to detect temperature differences in walls, floors, and other surfaces. These temperature variations indicate the presence of a leak.
- Process: The thermal camera captures images that show cooler or warmer areas. For instance, a cold spot on a wall might indicate a water leak, as the evaporating water cools the surrounding area. Similarly, a hot spot could indicate a hot water pipe leak.
- Advantages: This method is non-invasive and can quickly scan large areas, making it ideal for detecting leaks behind walls or in hard-to-reach places without causing damage.
Leak Detector Machine
- Concept: These machines detect the sound or vibrations caused by escaping water or gas. They are particularly effective in situations where the leak is not visible or is in an inaccessible place.
- Process: The machine uses sensitive microphones, amplifiers, and headphones to listen to the distinct sound of leaking water. Engineers interpret these sounds to pinpoint the location of the leak.
- Advantages: It’s a highly sensitive method that can precisely locate even small leaks. It’s also useful for pre-emptive maintenance, identifying potential leaks before they become serious.
Our engineers use these techniques to locate and assess leaks accurately. The choice of method depends on the type of leak, the nature of the piping or system involved, and the specifics of your property.
Contact Us Today
Please get in touch with us today for a free, no-obligation quote for our leak detection services.
Hi, I’m Terry the founder and owner of TM Hughes & Son Gas Services
Please get in touch using the Phone Numbers or Contact Form below