TM Hughes & Son offers Underfloor Heating services in Hockley, including Installation, Service & Repairs.
We have been in business for over 30 years. Our engineers are Gas Safe Registered, fully insured and specialists in Wet & Electric Underfloor Heating systems.
An Underfloor Heating System For Every Type Of Home
Every home is different, as are everyone’s underfloor heating needs. Therefore, we install both Wet & Electric systems to accommodate your Underfloor Heating needs no matter your home type, space or budget.
Wet systems are available to everyone with a Boiler powered central heating system. In contrast, electric systems are available to everyone. Both types have pros and cons.
The type of system you choose will depend on your central heating system, the size of the underfloor heating system and your budget.
To give you an idea, let’s look at both Wet & Electric Underfloor Heating systems to see the differences.
- Draws water heated by your Boiler
- The water runs to a manifold connected to a series of pipes.
- The pipes are installed under the floor in every room you want to be heated.
- Pipes are fitted on top of existing floors or between joists on floating floors.
- A pump and motorised valves are connected to the system to control the flow and distribution of hot water.
- A thermostat is used to control the temperature of the whole system or room by room.
- Underfloor Heating pipes are laid with insulation such as screed, Celotex, underfloor heating tiles or aluminium plates.
- The insulation gets hot, retains and emits heat for many hours.
- Wet underfloor heating systems consume less energy than electric underfloor heating systems and conventional central heating systems with radiators.
- Wet underfloor heating systems take longer and cost more to install than electric underfloor heating systems.
- Wet Underfloor Heating systems are extremely energy efficient.
- Instead of wet pipes, Electric systems use coils that run under the floor.
- When switched on, the coils are connected to the mains’ electrical supply and heat up when switched on.
- Electric coils are fitted loose or on preset mats that are ready insulated or non-insulated.
- The electric coils are laid on top of existing floors or set into the screed.
- All electric underfloor heating systems are insulated to provide better energy efficiency.
- The loose underfloor heating cable can be fashioned to any shape, perfect for small and awkward spaces.
- Electric systems are quicker and cheaper to install than wet systems.
- Electric systems cost more to run than wet systems.
Wet & Electric Underfloor Heating Similarities
Whatever Underfloor Heating system you choose, Wet or Electric, both have similarities and benefits.
- The whole area is heated evenly from the floor up, unlike radiators and storage heaters where the heat comes from a single point from the wall.
- Underfloor Heating allows the removal of radiators and storage heaters from the wall, creating space and making the room look bigger.
- Both wet and electric underfloor heating systems include insulation which helps increase energy efficiency significantly.
- Both systems can be used with any type of floor and flooring.
- Both systems will last 35+ years and are easy to work on in the event of maintenance, fault and repair.
- Underfloor Heating is an attractive feature that will help you sell your home if you decide to sell.
As a general rule of thumb, Wet systems are a better investment for homes with a Boiler powered central heating system and those who want to heat multiple rooms.
While the initial outlay may be more than an electric system, you’ll save money over time on your energy bills.
Electric Underfloor Heating systems are better for those who don’t have a wet central heating system or only want a small area heated, such as an office or bathroom.
Free No-Obligation Installation Survey
We would like to offer you a free no-obligation Underfloor Heating survey and quote so we can determine the best type of Underfloor Heating system for your home and budget.
Our experienced engineers will carefully examine your home, spaces, and current heating system before presenting you with all the available options that’ll work for your situation.
Underfloor Heating Servicing & Repairs
Once you have an Underfloor Heating system installed, you’ll enjoy many years of trouble-free, reliable service.
However, it is good to have your Underfloor Heating checked annually to ensure everything’s in complete working order.
All the working parts are easy to access. An engineer will inspect and test the pump, manifold, valves and connections, ensuring everything’s in order.
These parts are also easy to replace. Pipes will last for decades under the floor. At some point, the pump, manifold or valves will go first. The good news is that these parts are easy to access and replace.
If you have cold spots on your floor, you probably have an airlock present that we can quickly remove.
Damage to the pipes under the floor is extremely rare but is something we see from time to time. In the event of a damaged pipe, we’ll locate the fault with a thermal imaging camera, access the pipe and repair it.
If you’re interested in an Underfloor Heating installation or need a service or repair, then please get in touch and speak to one of our engineers.
Hi, I’m Terry the founder and owner of TM Hughes & Son Gas Services
Please get in touch using the Phone Numbers or Contact Form below
Call – 01702 910075
For Boiler Installations & Repair