Waste Disposal Units Hockley
Installation & Repairs
Call – 01702 910075
TM Hughes & Son offers Waste Disposal Unit Installation and Repair in Hockley and the surrounding areas.
Our services include a free, no-obligation quote from one of our skilled and insured plumbers. Repairs include no call-out charges.
- Waste Disposal Unit Installation & Repairs
- Free no-obligation quotes
- Experienced & Insured Plumbers
- No call-out charges for repairs
4 Reasons Why You Should Consider A Waste Disposal Unit
- Convenience: Waste disposal units offer a quick and easy way to eliminate kitchen waste, reducing the need for multiple trips to the outdoor bin.
- Hygiene: By grinding food waste immediately, these units help prevent the build-up of rotting food in your kitchen bin, leading to a more hygienic kitchen environment.
- Eco-friendly: With a waste disposal unit, food waste can be processed in wastewater facilities, reducing the amount of waste going into landfills and hence, reducing methane emissions.
- Reduce Waste Volume: Waste disposal units can significantly reduce the volume of your household waste.
Waste disposal units offer a practical, environmentally friendly solution for food waste management.
How A Waste Disposal Unit Works
A waste disposal unit is an appliance installed underneath the kitchen sink. It is designed to shred food waste into small pieces, typically less than 2 mm in size, making it easier to be washed away through the plumbing system.
Here’s a simplified step-by-step guide on how it works:
- The input of Waste: The process starts when you put food waste into the sink and then turn on the tap. The running water and the food waste pass through the sink drain into the disposal unit.
- Grinding Chamber: The waste enters a grinding chamber inside the disposal unit. This chamber is equipped with a spinning disc or impellers attached to a rotating plate.
- Shredding of Waste: As the waste disposal unit is switched on, the rotating plate turns, forcing the food waste onto the outer wall of the grinding chamber. The waste is ground down into small particles by the impellers, small, hammer-like devices mounted on the rotating plate.
- Ejection of Waste: The water from the sink continues to run during this process, washing the finely ground particles down the drain and into the wastewater system.
- Waste Processing: Ground food waste is treated at wastewater facilities or enters a septic system.
What Types Of Food Can Be Used In A Waste Disposal Unit?
Waste Disposal Units can handle a wide variety of food types which include
- Small Bones and Fish Bones: While large, hard bones should be avoided, small chicken or fish bones can be ground up by a disposal unit.
- Fruit Scraps: Parts of fruits you don’t consume, like apple cores or the tops of strawberries, can be disposed of.
- Vegetable Scraps: The same goes for vegetable scraps like the ends of carrots, stems of peppers etc.
- Cooked Meat Scraps: Small pieces of cooked meat, like those remaining after a meal, can also be disposed of in the unit.
- Small Pieces of Citrus Fruits: Small pieces of citrus, like lemons or oranges, can freshen up your disposal unit and help clean it.
- Coffee Grounds: In small amounts, coffee grounds can help eliminate odours in the disposal. But too much can accumulate and cause clogs, so moderation is key.
- Egg Shells: There’s a common misconception that eggshells sharpen disposal blades, which isn’t true, but they are generally safe for the disposal unit and can help clean its walls.
Contact Us Today
If you want a Waste Disposal Unit installed or require a repair, please get in touch with us using the phone number or contact form below.
Hi, I’m Terry the founder and owner of TM Hughes & Son Gas Services
Please get in touch using the Phone Numbers or Contact Form below