Power Flushing Service Maldon (and surrounding areas)
Gas Safe Registered Engineers
Call: 01621 880075
Power Flushing cleans rust, debris and Sludge (a mud-like substance that accumulates in pipes and radiators) from central heating systems. A machine is attached at a convenient point in the system. Water mixed with chemicals is ‘flushed’ through the system for a few hours.
The water and chemicals circulate at low pressure (so no pipes or fittings are put under undue stress), removing all the unwanted particles that makeup ‘sludge’.
TM Hughes & Son Gas Engineers use Kamco machines that pump around 170 litres a minute through heating systems. Kamco is the industry standard when it comes to Power Flushing machines.
Kamco chemicals are used for the procedure.
The chemicals gradually free and break down the Sludge into fine particles taken out of the system and expelled.
(Always use a Gas Safe Registered Engineer for power flushing, preferably one who uses Kamco machines and chemicals)
The Power Flushing Procedure
First of all, radiators are switched on, heats measured and noted. This allows us to demonstrate the improved heat output after the Power Flush.
The Kamco Power Flush machine’s connected to your central heating system, where? This will depend on the type of system you have. Combi boiler systems, we’ll connect the machine at the head. If you have a system boiler, we’ll connect at the pump.
The machines switched on, water and chemicals are pumped through your system over a few hours. The time will depend on your system’s size and age and how dirty/clogged your system is.
Sludge is gradually removed from the system. We’ll keep going until the systems clear.
All dirty water’s removed from the system.
Once clean, your systems refilled with new water and a corrosion inhibitor, keeping your system clean and helping prevent future sludge build-ups.
Wastewater is taken away and safely disposed of.
(Some systems have severe blockages which we may need to dislodge from a pipe or radiator, tools will be required but don’t worry, we’ll remove the blockage, so the Power Flush’s undertaken efficiently)
Do I Need A Power Flush?
You can determine if whether you need a Power Flush or not by answering the following questions.
Has your system been Power Flushed in the past five years?
If your system has, then no, you probably don’t a Power Flush. If your system hasn’t been flushed in the past five years, then a Power Flush will be a good idea.
Are you getting a new boiler installed?
It would help if you always had a Power Flush before a new boiler installation.
Is your radiator water dirty?
When you bleed your radiator, the water should be clear or grey (grey is normal and nothing to worry about). If your waters brown, then the system’s corroding and will likely have some sludge build-up, it’s a good time to Power Flush before the problem becomes more severe. Dark brown or black water is an indication of Sludge in the system. It’s defiantly time for a Powerflush.
Does your boiler keep switching off?
Several issues can cause a boiler to keep switching off. A gas engineer can determine the cause by process of elimination. If a sludge build-up the culprit, then a Power Flush is required.
Are your radiators slow to heat up?
Radiators should heat up quickly. If yours are heating slowly, then they could be built up with Sludge which prevents the heat from getting through properly.
Do your radiators leak?
Overtime radiators can corrode from the inside the problems accelerated with badly built-up systems containing Sludge, rust and debris. Eventually, creditors can spring pinhole leaks. If any of your radiators are leaking, they’ll need replacing the watercolour will indicate whether you need a Power Flush as well.
Are your radiators cold at the bottom?
Sludge collects in the bottom of radiators and builds up. Over time the Sludge will rise, and before you know it, your radiators no longer get hot at the bottom. Check all the radiators in your home. If any are cold at the bottom, bleed them. If the radiator doesn’t heat quickly and is still cold at the bottom, then Sludge is in the radiator, time for a Power Flush.
Do your radiators only get hot at the top?
Radiators that only get hot at the top are usually very built up with Sludge so badly the bottom and middle won’t heat a power flush’s needed ASAP.
Do you have any radiators that don’t heat at all?
Some radiators get so clogged up they won’t heat at all, some won’t even allow water to escape when bled. This is a near emergency situation that could lead to boiler, pump and pipe damage. The best course of action here is to replace offering radiators and Power Flush the whole system.
Are any components of your central heating system noisy?
Whether in the boiler, pump, radiators or pipes, noises in central heating systems usually indicate a fault or minor issue. Always get any strange noises analysed and fixed before they turn into more significant problems (which they invariably do). Sometimes noises are caused by sludge build-ups. An engineer can investigate your system and establish the cause. If it’s Sludge, then we’ll recommend a Powerflush.
Power Flushing Your System Ensures
- Optimal Energy Efficiency
- Fully Hot Radiators
- Smooth Running Boiler
- Lower Energy Bills
By having a Power Flush, you eliminate all the Sludge, limescale, and debris, all of which inhibit your system’s effectiveness. It’s madness paying to Power a system that radiates less heat than it should because the pipes, radiators, boiler and pump are clogged.
Also, by running a dirty system, you’re putting your boiler at increased risk of breakdown. Sludge is notorious for causing blockages and boiler failure. In some cases, debris can cause irreparable boiler damage.
Power Flushing breaks down and removes all the Sludge and debris, allowing your system to run optimally while protecting from corrosion, blockages and boiler breakdown.
Smart homeowners undertake Power Flushing every five years to ensure continuous smooth running and hassle-free heating.
10 Power Flushing Benefits
Power Flushing includes many benefits. Here are 10 of them
- Aggressive Water Is Removed – Contaminated water causes inefficient heating and needless wear and tear on your system Power Flushing removes and replaces undesirable aggressive water.
- System Is Fully Cleaned – Rest assured the system’s fully cleared and running on clean treated water, which is friendlier and ensures your heating system’s overall longevity.
- Full Radiator Output – Clean radiators heat fully from top to bottom with maximal output to correctly heat every room in your house.
- Fast Heating – Clogged systems take longer to heat up (burning more fuel in the process) than clean systems, which quickly heat up.
- System Runs Quieter – Now your systems cleansed, it will run quieter. Any annoying noises you had before in the boiler, radiators or pipes should disappear.
- Increased Energy Efficiency – Clean water free of Sludge and debris flows freely through your central heating system, allowing it to work to its full potential leading to the best possible energy (for your system).
- Lower Fuel Bills – Clean energy efficient central heating systems are cheaper to run, and you should see a price drop when you get your next energy bill.
- Less Chance Of Boiler Failure – After Power Flushing, your boiler will run better and is far less likely to break down.
- Validates Boiler Warranties – Most warranties on new boilers require a Power Flush before installation. Power Flushing ensures the warranty on a new boiler is valid.
- All Done In A Single Visit – Power Flushing is completed in a single visit and will last for at least five years (if not longer).
Want A Power Flushing Quote?
If you would like to discuss your Power Flushing requirements, get a free quote or want to book a heating engineer, please contact us using the phone numbers or contact form below.