Only around 40% of homes in the UK have a dual flush toilet if you’re one of the homes in the other 60% that hasn’t got one it’s time to upgrade your toilet and here’s why.
What is a dual flush toilet?
A dual flush toilet has two flush options designed to save water
- One flush is a half flush which is used flushing liquid waste
- The other flush is a full flush for solid waste
Typically a dual flush toilet will use 3 litres of water on a half Flash and 6 litres of water on a full flush
Much less than traditional style toilets that use around 13 litres per flush
30% Of Household Water’s Used For Flushing
Flushing the toilet accounts for 30% of the water usage in the average UK home
The average person flushes the toilet around eight times per day
A traditional style toilet will use 104 litres a day
Or 37960 litres a year
Using a dual flush toilet the average person will use 27 litres a day
Or 9855 litres per year
A saving of 77 litres per day
Or 28105 litres per year
A Huge Saving
A massive saving on water and if you’re on a water metre a sizeable saving on your annual water bill.
We have already discussed Water Conservation and how we need to reduce our average water usage of 150 litres to 100 litres per day as the UK will be facing water shortage problems in the next 25 years or so.
Installing a dual flush toilet will greatly reduce your water usage (around half of the target 50 litres per day) and reduce your carbon footprint, doing your bit for the environment and planet.
Disadvantages Of A Dual Flush Toilet
Dual flush toilets are relatively inexpensive and simple to install. There are, however some disadvantages to a dual flush toilet.
First of all, you and your family will have to know which button to press.
Sometimes the wrong button’s pressed so; two flushes are required which wastes water.
Some homeowners complain that their dual flush toilet requires more frequent cleaning than their traditional toilet. Less water’s used. Therefore they are not as efficient at self-cleaning.
Only small disadvantages, though,
The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.
If you would like to upgrade to a modern dual flush toilet, we can help, give us a call.