Welcome to TM Hughes & Son Gas Services Ltd. We offer Underfloor Heating Installation, Service and Repairs in Colchester.
- Our services cover both Wet and Electric Underfloor Heating systems
- All work is undertaken by experienced and insured Gas Safe Registered engineers
- We offer free no-obligation quotes and no call out charges for emergency repairs
12 Reasons Why You Should Consider Underfloor Heating
Underfloor Heating offers many benefits over conventional heating systems and, as such, is a popular choice in new and existing homes throughout Colchester.
Here are 12 reasons why Underfloor Heating is popular and why you should consider getting it installed in your home.
- Heat is distributed evenly throughout each room as the whole floor is heated, unlike radiators which heat from a single area on the wall.
- The floor feels warm underfoot all over
- The floor and room maintain a consistent temperature throughout
- Heating pipes/coils are hidden from sight and out of harm’s way beneath the floor
- Underfloor Heating pipes/coils are well insulated, which improves energy efficiency
- Underfloor Heating has superior energy efficiency when compared to conventional radiators
- Lower energy is consumed to heat an area when compared to radiators, so improved energy spend
- Underfloor Heating produces a lower carbon footprint which is better for the environment
- Rooms look and feel larger once radiators are removed from the walls.
- Underfloor Heating systems require little to no maintenance (depending on the type of system you have installed)
- Works with both gas central heating systems and mains electricity
- Adds value to your home. Underfloor Heating is an attractive feature to home buyers.
Underfloor Heating Installation
If you’re interested in installing an Underfloor Heating system, we would like to offer you a free no-obligation survey and quote undertaken by one of our experienced heating engineers.
We have installed many Underfloor Heating systems in Colchester over the years. We can install a system in any home no matter the type, age or size.
There are two types of Underfloor Heating systems ‘Wet’ and ‘Electric.’
Wet Underfloor Heating systems are connected to the Boiler of your central heating system and are also known as ‘water’ or ‘hydronic’ Underfloor Heating.
The wet system takes hot water from your Boiler to a manifold, which is then distributed through a network of pipes running under the floor in your chosen rooms.
The pipes are fitted with insulation, depending on the type of floor you have. Pipes can be set in screed (for new floors or on top of existing ones) specially formed tiles, boards or aluminium plates. In addition, pipes can be run between the joists of floating floors.
The pipes and the insulation heat as hot water flows through. As a result, the insulation retains heat for many hours consuming less energy to heat the room.
Underfloor Heating systems are fitted with thermostats so you can set your preferred heat for the entire system or on a room by room basis.
Wet Underfloor Heating systems offer better energy efficiency than electric systems. However, they are more expensive to fit.
Electric Underfloor Heating
Electric Underfloor Heating is connected to your mains electricity supply. The electricity powers heated coils that run under the floor instead of wet pipes.
Like wet systems, most electric coils include insulation to keep the floor warm and improve energy efficiency.
Electric coils can be screeded into new floors or placed on top of existing floors underneath new flooring. Various options are available with electric heating coils fitted to mats placed over the area or single coils fitted to shape (better for smaller areas).
Electric Underfloor Heating systems are quicker to fit and cheaper than wet systems, although they are more expensive to run.
Underfloor Heating Servicing
If you have Electric Underfloor Heating fitted, you won’t need any servicing done.
If you have Wet Underfloor Heating installed, then you will need some maintenance from time to time.
The best time to have your Underfloor Heating serviced is when you have your annual Boiler servicing and cylinder check (if you have a system or regular Boiler).
During the service, an engineer will check the manifold, valves, pump and pipe connections and make any necessary adjustments to ensure there’s no leaking from the seals and everything is set up and running correctly.
If you have an old Wet Underfloor Heating system and feel that your floor doesn’t get as hot as it used to, we can bring it back to life with Powerflushing.
Powerflushing will thoroughly clean your Underfloor Pipes of limescale, sludge and debris that prevent total heat output, restoring your system to like-new performance.
Underfloor Heating Repairs
Wet Underfloor Heating systems last for decades. However, at this time, the above-ground parts like the manifold, pump, valves and connections will need replacing.
If any of these parts have failed on your Underfloor Heating system, one of our engineers can undertake a swift replacement.
We can also deal with problems in the underfloor pipes such as cold spots, airlocks and leaks.
We cover Underfloor Heating emergencies, which are available 24/7 and include no call out charges.
Hi, I’m Terry the founder and owner of TM Hughes & Son Gas Services
Please get in touch using the Phone Numbers or Contact Form below
Call – 01206 430156
Get A Price Now
Call Us – 01206 430156
Email Us or Request A Call-Back
For Boiler Installations & Repair